Wednesday, September 3, 2014

PUMA

Another favorite postcard but this time NOT just because...

 
"The Puma (also called Cougar, Mountain Lion, Panther and Catamount) is still to be found in very small numbers in parts of Florida. This large cat can purr just like a house cat which is not the case in the larger felines." is stated on the back of the postcard. Colorphoto by B. Amadeus Rubel.
Doris Rose and I were sitting at a table near our glass walls having lunch here in Florida in 2009 and were watching the pond and land around it behind our house. Walking at an  unhurried but not stopping pace of walking  on the other side of the pond was a solid black one of these! Not having a camera nearby I chose to just watch it and not miss this beautiful sight looking for a camera. It was about the height/size of a black lab dog and that is what I thought it was at first. But then I realized it had cat shaped ears, a cat tail that hung down, and a very powerful muscular body and big cat type toes on its paws. Awesome! Never expecting to see one again, I was totally surprised when the same one time sighting occured the following year at about the same time of day and season! If someone told me this story I would not believe them! BUT IT REALLY HAPPENED TWICE TO ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment