Monday, September 22, 2014

Hollyhocks?

ARE THESE HOLLYHOCKS?

 

ARE THESE HOLLYHOCKS?

Working on my Postcard Traveler blog I came across this postcard. SWOOSH back came the memories of walking up the alley behind our rowhouse in the row of Baltimore rowhouses heading to Bob's Store for a neighbor or us!!! One neighbor gave me a penny or two pennies and another neighbor gave me a nickel to go to the store for them. So while walking to the store it was always fun to look at and smell the colorful flowers in our "green thumb" neighbors' gardens.
These I think were called hollyhocks. Love that Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcea which has all kinds of interesting info on them. But since then two of my Facebook friends have shown their higher level of hollyhocks info and sent pics showing these are digitalis commonly called foxgloves! And I sure agree. They are used in creating heart medicines.
What I loved about them were their vivid colors! and details within each bloom. They made me think about God who made them and how they knew what to do when they were "born" and how detailed everything was in life even down to each little bloom on a hollyhock!
So little children when your books tell you everything just happens by chance check out your neighbor's foxgloves (and hollyhocks if they have them too)!






Monday, September 22, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment