Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Never Met A Pennsylvanian I Didn't Like...

While listing this postcard on Ebay I got to thinking about Pennsylvania in general. Growing up in Baltimore we knew lots of people from "up there" and still do. We have taken many day trips up to southern PA which are always full of fun,  beautiful sights and good food! And then it hit me... how much I admire, like and respect every single Pensylvanian I have ever known! They are kind to others, have strength of character and follow through on their life goals and their word. One of our wonderful son-in-laws is from PA. He and his family have added so much to our family's events and memories.
I do know this ...our family's first people over here from Europe settled there in PA in a little town called Columbia. People in a church there had to sponsor the newcomers in order for them to come over from Europe. We walked in that church and saw from the outside the first houses my grandfather had  lived in while young. Cool! You stand there and look and think...wow..if they hadn't been there I wouldn't be here!
From my teaching days I know lots of people settled in PA because it was similar in looks to where they came from in Europe. My grandfather's parents had come from Baveria and Bavern.  I have always wondered if that has to do with a connection I feel when riding through the PA roads up there..some kind of genetic connection in me from my ancestors' surroundings. That is weird but I always feel it when I go up there!
Getting back to the postcard I have to say I never heard of  or saw this movable dome auditorium before this postcard. I don't know if it is still there. I do know from the back of the postcard it cost 22 Million dollars, weighs more than than 3,653 pounds and could be rolled back in less than 2 1/2 minutes.

Click here if you would like to see the Ebay listing for this card:


1 comment: